Apples are a preferred fruit among cultures and not only do they taste delicious, apples are one of the healthiest fruits for us. Apples are packed with powerful phytonutrients, vitamin C and fiber that help keep the doctor away.
What’s So Great About Apples
- One serving of a whole apple (with peel) delivers 1500 mg of vitamin C helping to keep our immune system in-check.
- Apples are high in phytonutrients, which help regulate blood sugar. Grabbing an apple for a snack gives you a boost energy while keeping your blood sugar stable.
- Flavonoids, such as Quercetin, are abundant in apple peels. Quercetin has been shown to work as a natural antihistamine.
- The pectin in apples is a beneficial food for your good bacteria (bacteria needs to eat to live just like you).
- Apples are a powerful antioxidant to quench free radicals caused by stress, toxins and everyday metabolism. Compared to other commonly consumed fruits in the United States, apples rate second in antioxidant activities.
- The beneficial phytonutrients in apples can help reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and asthma.
- Eating a fresh whole apple is the best way to consume it. Juicing and cooking can drastically reduce the phytonutrients.
- Apples are versatile and can be stored up to 3-4 months.
Easy Way to Enjoy Apples
- Slather apples with peanut butter or almond butter
- Dip apples in Purple Green’s Homemade Nutella
- Dice apples into oatmeal
- Stir diced apples in yogurt and top with nuts or granola
- Bite into an apple and savor the flavor
- Sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon
- Cube apples into a salad
To learn more about how nutrition can impact your health contact us.